Monday 31 May 2010

Game face

I've recently joined an Aussie Rules Football team here in Toronto. No, I've never played before. Yes, the irony is amusing.
While there's lots of blokes playing footy in TO, we're the only women's team in the city. For games, we either play against ourselves, or organize meets with other cities. So far the team has played against Montreal and New York City (although I had to miss out, due to A. my husband's birthday and B. my ongoing, farcical immigration debacle).


Still, even the lack of any health coverage can't keep me from the field. This weekend, I was in the ruck, which is the rough equivalent of a basketball tip-off but involves a higher risk of getting a knee to the gut. 
The girl I was against is Allison. She's about a foot taller than me, and -- I discovered on Saturday -- has a really intimidating game face just as she's about to face off.
This is us going for the ball:
I think I got a surprising amount of air!

This is Allison going after me: 


This is me, apparently going after the Village People:


The white team won, but we blues went down fighting. Or, at least, flailing.  
Next up, Ottawa on the weekend of my husband's and my first anniversary. I'll keep you posted!

0 comments: