Friday 21 May 2010

Back on top!

Enough of the drama! And end to the drivel! We're getting back on top of things, people, and we're doing it in style.
Kitchener Waterloo is a hotbed of op-shopping glory. Don't get me wrong. It's tough on these here streets. Op-shops are busy. Competition can be fierce. But that doesn't mean one should go crazy. As always in the vintage-loving underbelly of fashion, you've got to know when to hold em, know when to fold em up and put them back, and know when to run.


I scored a few great finds, including some great brooches (or 'pins' as they're known in Canada) and an awesome yellow enamel scarf clip which happily tethered my Montreal Olympic commemorative scarf the other day.


But the ultimate piece, the one that had my husband looking at me askance and then hoping I might be about to serve him a slice of pie, is this little number:

I bagged it for $7.99 at a Goodwill. It would have been less at the Mennonite Thrift store I plundered earlier this week, but beggars -- sorry, vintage hounds -- can't always be choosers. 

I attribute this purchase to a number of factors: My dearest friend has me watching Twin Peaks again, and I'm finding Donna's 1990s threads disturbingly appealing; I've spotted a number of gals out on the town in 80s biker denim and office dresses; it had massive shoulder pads (which, yes, I removed).

But mostly, I think it's the amount of Golden Girls I've been watching this week. Those ladies are still dangerous, after all these years.

3 comments:

Lavender said...

Why did the Golden Girls never get a movie ala SATC do you think?
This is too cute. Next time keep the shoulder pads in! At least for photographic purposes.

Not The Captain said...

Shall do! Just for you. :D

Suz said...

loves the new outfit and of those all back home will be happy to know that you still reign supreme as the ten buck kid :-)