Wednesday 23 September 2009

Myers Briggs and Me

This enforced housewifery has got me doing two things: Experimenting with my newfound favourite cookbook, The Produce Bible, and deeply contemplating my career direction. 


The first helps create yummy things like the fennel and tomato gratin T and I devoured last night.
The second highlights my latent discontent with journalism, or at least journalism as I was being made practice it. Art, fiction, science, politics... I'm toying with many ideas right now. (I'm also open to suggestions, if you want to send me some.)


To that end I borrowed a library book called 'Do What You Are' recommended to my by T's big brother. After a few hours of doing pseudo-Myers-Briggs personality tests, and slotting myself into one of 16 personality profiles (I am apparently an 'ENFP' Extroverted, Intuitive, Feeling, Perceiving type, who runs mostly on intuition), I turned to the long list of recommended career pursuits to see the first one listed is...
Journalism.


Hmmph. 


The 'creative' list also includes such things as Screenwriter, Character actor, Artist and Community Theatre Director. Could I combine them all, and write a character piece for myself to perform in the local playhouse? 


There's also some waffle about marketing and PR, ombudsman/social scientist/anthropologist (which sounds all right, although the last may be due to a mental link to pretty dresses...), and some optimal health and business pathways.


But creativity leads the way. Now, if only I could harness some of that good stuff myself to create a dashing way out of this career malaise!

0 comments: