Wednesday 9 September 2009

Long enough to lose

Most Canadians probably don't know Margaret Philp beyond her byline and insightful reporting. They wouldn't know she stole my practical heart with her love of flat shoes, always wore the most individually stylish clothing, and was warm and generous as well as being a fearsomely good reporter.
They also probably don't know that she died this morning after a years-long battle with cancer.


I didn't get to know Margaret all that well (unlike Talbert Walters, a wonderful colleague who disappeared before our eyes last year and whom I was lucky enough to call my friend). But her death, like her work, has got me thinking deeply about what surrounds me.


When you arrive in a new place, it's hard to comprehend that as you start meeting people, knowing them and loving them, you'll start losing them too.

0 comments: