Wednesday 7 April 2010

Do

For quite some while I've been wondering what to do with this blog. Keep it lighthearted? Wander into the deeper, less entertaining territory of life's unexpected transitions? Start a chronicle of my get-rich-eventually schemes? (they are legion.)
In the end (as I sit here half loaded following a meeting of the Women's Wine Federation), I have decided to follow five themes: Do, Be, Hear, See and Say.
This week, it is Do.


On Monday, I trekked an hour on the TTC to reach the Lawrence-Yonge part of Toronto to turn a stranger's backyard lawn into the beginnings of a vegetable garden. 
I am a Gardeneer -- basically a volunteer who gardens -- and I'm helping the Young Urban Farmers community shared agriculture get up and running. The idea is cool. Instead of trying to find enough land in Toronto to make a farm, homeowners donate use of their backyards so the volunteers and organizers can grow fresh produce, which is then sold through food boxes.
Great idea. Hard work. I spent four hours de-sodding earth, and frankly, that's tough. Sod is hard to turn asunder. Let that be a lesson for life.


Today, Tuesday, I made 50 bows out of magazine pages. It's all towards a craft stall I'll be manning later this month, and frankly, this one-woman-sweat-shop is wearing me down. Thank goodness my darling husband ran out at 10:30pm on Easter Saturday to buy me chocolate bunnies. Everything is better with chocolate bunnies. Another lesson in life for you.


Also today, I went to AFL practise and then trundled eastward for French wine and food with the glorious WWF ladies. I hope to extol the virtues of both at some later date.


For now, it's late and I shall now go curl up around my darling husband and sleep a deep, sore and slightly drunken sleep. The best kind. Lesson for life. 


x

0 comments: