Thursday 12 April 2012

Jesus V. Felix the Cat

One had wicked hair, hit his peak at 33, and then disappeared in such mysterious circumstances that we still talk about them 2000-odd years later. The other found a magic bag of tricks at the age of 34 and went on to a whole new life of amazingness.


Forget the so-called Jesus Year, during which 33-year-olds wake up, realize there is a big world around them that doesn't know they exist, and, as The Globe and Mail so condescendingly put it, publicly explore their "emerging adulthood".
I am totally going with Felix The Cat.
Felix started off in 1919 as a small, curious and inventive little feller. (Oh, and did I mention he was created by an Aussie? True.) But it wasn't until 1953 - when Felix was 34 - that he found his groove. Having already led a full and exciting life, Felix got even more awesome thanks to a magical bag o' tricks that pretty much allowed him to do anything he freaking wanted. Awesome.


So screw the Jesus Year. I take great dudgeon by any inference that I am, at 33, still emerging as an adult. No: I'm married, with a mortgage, and have a 13-years-and-counting career that spans two continents. Developing and maturing, I always hope to be. Emerging, I am not.


So it is now, after all of my years as an adult, that I feel I'm finally about to discover my own bag of tricks. I am 33, and that means:
- These grey streaks in my hair can stay. I think they look intriguing and kind of hot.
- I have mastered my work skills, which means I can seek out projects that push me in new and interesting directions.
- I am confident enough in my abilities to launch my own business, and am willing to succeed or fail on my own terms.
- Note the above: I am willing to fail.


While long-haired self-discovery and rampant sandal-wearing both have a time and place in every person's life, I'm gunning for the Cat.


New Motto: I Strut, therefore I Am. Bring on my bag o' tricks!

1 comments:

Malcolm said...

This post was so great.
Also, issue re: Jesus =
Died that age as well.