Tuesday 15 December 2009

Haiku me this, Batman

For no good reason, recently I decided to start writing all of my facebook status updates in haiku. Things I have learned so far:
- Americanisation fits perfectly, as it is lovely and neat and has seven syllables.
- Harper jokes are easy to fit in, but it gets more difficult when I try to add Ignatieff. (Seems a fair summation of the situation as a whole, really.)
- I've started reflexively counting syllables while thinking my idle thoughts. I do this on my fingers. The subsequent twitching, I'm now realizing, could be making me look a little insane.
- It's rather reduced my number of posts. I like to think this is a good thing.


Poetry buffs may also be interested to know I wrote my first pantoum yesterday. The first quatrain came to me while I was walking home in a drizzling rain that wafted nicely under the streetlights. The strictures of the form, though, took me to rather unexpected places during the actual writing. It was really fascinating. 


If anyone's played with this sort of thing, I'd love to know about it.

...

Oh, and here, for no good reason, is the Twinkie-and-Joe-Louis cake I made for my friends' combo birthday party. You know you want it...








0 comments: